duckduckgo
eocene
2014-09-05 17:59:52 UTC
Just tried searching for something using duckduckgo with midori, using
the standard search, not the light one. I copied the link URL and saw
that they're doing the same thing that google does -- the link URL shown
at the bottom of the screen is what you expect, but the link is really
a redirection through duckduckgo.

Doesn't look like dillo does that -- maybe something to do with
javascript, didn't matter why to me.

Anyway, I didn't exactly like ddg behaving this way, and I believe I
will try using startpage more often instead. (Although I have to turn
off CSS to get a next button on startpage results...)
James C
2014-09-08 00:27:54 UTC
Google also redirects through itself.

The rationale is to avoid leaking your search terms to the found site,
in the referring URL field that Dillo doesn't populate. The reasons
will include using that to create a market for analytics and
attempting to measure whether the search delivers people's
preconceptions.

On the DDG parameters page:
https://duckduckgo.com/params
there is a redirect parameter:
kd=-1 for off

With casual testing, this search url in dillorc seems to work for me,
and not to generate a second round-trip through ddg:
search_url="dd DuckDuckGo https://duckduckgo.com/lite/?kp=-1&kd=-1&kh=1&q=%s"
but I can't see the redirect even if I turn it on, so that's not very
conclusive.